Writings about H.D.
Scholarly and Creative Works about H.D. (Hilda Doolittle)
See this interview with Susan Stanford Friedman, with Michael Coyle and Jane Pinchin, Colgate University
|Advice for Readers New to H.D.
- For information about H.D.’s life, see our biography page.
- A good place to start reading about H.D.’s writing is the H.D. section of the Multimedia Companion to the Anthology of Modern American Poetry (Oxford University Press, 2000) by Marsha Bryant.
- H.D.: Woman and Poet (edited by Michael King, Orono, Maine: National Poetry Foundation, University of Maine at Orono, c1986; ISBN #0-915032-69-4)
- Signets: Reading H.D. (edited by Susan Stanford Friedman and Rachel Blau DuPlessis, U of Wisconsin P, 1990).
- To set up a Google Scholar alert for H.D., click here
- The Modern American Poetry Web site includes a brief bibliography of criticism by Marsha Bryant.
- Michael Boughn’s descriptive bibliography, H.D.: A Bibliography, 1905-1990 (Charlottesville, Bibliographical Society of the University of Virginia, UP of Virginia, 1993; ISBN #0813914124) lists much of the criticism published prior to 1990.
- This page contains a beginner’s bibliography of criticism: Literaryhistory.com.
|Periodicals of Interest
- H.D.’s Web, an e-newsletter 2007-2011
- H.D. Newsletter, 1987-1991
- Sagetrieb (1981-2014; ISSN #0735-4665, published by the National Poetry Foundation at the University
of Maine, Orono, Maine).
- Paideuma, 1971-present, also published by the National poetry Foundation, devoted to the study of H.D., Ezra Pound, William Carlos Williams, and their circle.
- Iowa Review, H.D. centennial issue. (Information contributed by Lisa Simon.)
- For a list of other special issues of periodicals, see the introduction to Annette Debo and Lara Vetter’s Approaches to Teaching H.D.’s Poetry and Prose (New York: MLA Press, 2011).
|Online Articles and Reviews
|Creative Works Inspired by H.D.
- Robin McCarthy’s “Dead or Alive with H.D. in Bethlehem, PA” in Pank, 15 Oct. 2014
- Hilda and Freud, Collected Words, promenade play performed by the Brazilian company, Unconscious on Stage at the UK Freud Museum in 2013
- Amy Evan’s The Sea Quells includes poems directly engaged with H.D.’s Sea Garden (Bristol: Shearsman Books, 2013). See a sample of poems here
- Robert Duncan’s The H.D. Book (Berkeley: UC Press, 2012)
- Joan Jonas, Lines in the Sand (Performance). See installation stills and and performance video at the Brooklyn Museum
- “An Exchange between Joan Jonas, Susan Howe, and Jeanne Heuving” in How2
- The H.D. Trilogy Film, directed by Larry Jordan (1990) is available from MUBI. It features poet Joanna McClure in a Mediterranean village, reading excerpts from Hermetic Definition among other texts. View a sample scene here.
- Hilda’s Book, a film by Frank Wintle
- Stephen Collis, “At the Bottom of Avon River: A Partial Alphabet of Objects for Louis Zukofsky and H.D.” from the Electronic Poetry Center
- Video Presentation of “A Photograph: Hilda Doolittle” from the University of Athens
- “Writing through Imagism” episode of Poem Talk (#36)
- Art exhibit by Oriole Farb Feshbach: H.D.’s Triology at the R. Michelson Galleries
|H.D. on Radio and Television